Recently, at a Mobile Monday event, I heard about DiCoDE, a framework developed by Fabian Tilmant.
I immediately noticed some similiarities between DiCoDE and my eReading Reference Architecture (eRRA) method. The “eReading content life cycle” can be mapped to the DiCoDE model. In the eRRA methodology we also work on 2 additional topics: the Business Goals and the Entreprise/ICT Architecture.
DiCoDE complements the architecture by providing a kind of “Generic Media Business Process Template”.
I might sound a little bit “Chinese” but it isn’t. These are just techniques to make sure your new Media initiatives will succeed
- Achieve your business goals as a Media company
- Make sure you will reach the Consumer by a set of channels
- Develop a plan in terms of resources (IT Systems, People, Data, Entreprise/IT Architecture…)
Combinig DiCoDE and eRRA could achieve great results. Here would be a possible modus-operandi :
- Defining the business goals (eRRA Methodology, KAOS or GOESIR Method)
- Analysing the future Content Value Chain with DiCoDE
- Determine the architecture required to implement the value chain (ex: new Portal, new Production Process…) and document them over the 4 eReading Tiers (Archimate Notation). This provides a TO-BE Architectural overview.
- Compare the TO-BE Architectural overview with the AS-IS (what elements of the value chain do we have today ?) to provide a project plan
(Note the eRRA methodology can be applied on all kind of Media, not only on eReading. If the “eReader” is a Tablet, there is much more to do than just “read” on the “eReader Tier”.)
In order to illustrate a litle bit step 3 I have taken the DiCoDE building blocks and drawn them in an Architectural Overview over the 4 eRRA tiers.
If you want to give it a try (DiCoDE and/or eRRA), just contact us:
If you immediately want to know mode about the eRRA, you can get the eBook here :
The DiCoDE ebook is not ready yet, so you’ll have to point your browser here :