Today, I’m looking at a technology for implementing some demos with the new eReader I have received yesterday. My objective is to demonstrate some showcases of a an ePaper Reference Architecture, therefore I want to develop/assemble a Desktop application, a kind of iTunes for eReader.
I currently face a dilemna: which technology to choose Java or Adobe (AIR) ? Both are portable.Both offer document workflow solutions, which I believe are very important elements.
Advantages of Java
- Java is more open towards other Entreprise platforms like Alfresco or jBoss.
- The Kindle is based on a Java Platform (see here)
- Other commercial document solutions like IBM FileNet are based on FileNet
Advantages of Adobe
- Adobe clearly has an advantage when talking about generating PDF documents
- Adobe AIR is flashy
- Adobe also has solutions for Document Workflow
To be continued…